The Portrait of a lady Important Question and answers class 11 English chapter 1
Question”1 what are the three phases of the author’s relationship with his grandmother before he left country to study abroad “
The three phases of the author’s relationship with his grandmother before he left the country to study abroad are:”
- Childhood – when he was living in village and grandmother took care of him as his guardian
- Boyhood- when he shifted in city where grandmother could no longer accompany him to his school
- early youth- when he went to the university and was given a room of him own the common link of friendship was snapped
Question”2 Mention the three reasons why the author’s grandmother was distributed when he started going to the city school
Answer” The three reasons why the author’s grandmother was distributed when he started going to the city school are”
- Her Routine to go school with author broke
- city school was not teaching anything about God
- She didn’t like the idea of city school teaching music to students
Question”3 Mention three ways in which the author’s grandmother spent her days after he grew up’
Answer” the three ways in which the author’s grandmother spent her days after he grew up
- Most of the time she lived alone in her room
- she sat at her spinning wheel reciting Prayers
- In the afternoon she would feed the sparrows for half an hour
Question”4 Mention the odd ways in which the author’s grandmother behaved just before she died’
Answer”( i )The authors grandmother refused to talk to any family members
(ii) very first time in her life she forgot to pray the day before her death
(iii) she kept on lying in bed while telling her beads
Question”5 Mention the ways in which the sparrows expressed their sorrow when the author’s grandmother died ‘
Answer” All the sparrows seemed very sad and they didn’t make any sound of Chirrupings when author’s mother gave them some crumbs of breads none them ate, as soon as the grandmother’s corpse was carried off they flew away quietly thus the sparrows expressed their sorrow
Question”6 would you agree that the author’s grandmother was a person strong in character? if yes” give instances that show this
Answer” Yes” the grandmother was a strong person in character the instance to show this are as follows”
- she had her own thoughts about schools and their teachings she considered learning scriptures a better things than studying science or English
- she didn’t like music as according to her music was for low- level people
- when the author went to the university in seclusion she would spin the wheel chant prayers tell beads and feed breads crumbs to the sparrow”
- when she sang the homecoming of the warriors of hours and didn’t stop even when her family tried a million times
- During her last time she didn’t want to waste any time talking to anyone so the lay silently on her bed and chanted her prayers till she did
Question”7 Describe the changing relationship between the author and his grandmother Did their feelings for each other Change?
Answer” In the early days they both shared a good bond she would get him ready for school accompany him and would come back with later in the day she would help him with his studies and would teach him prayers by singing in a monotonous tone every morning when they moved to the city their relationship was strained started going to an english medium school she would no longer accompany him to the school or could not help him with the lessons she didn’t like his new school as they never taught him about God or scriptures later when he started taking music she disapproved of it as she thought that music was only for beggars or harlots she stopped talking to him afterwards and would spend her day alone while chanting prayers when the author went to university and then abroad their bond weakened she would spin the wheel the whole day the and chant her prayers she accepted she seclusion No their feelings for each other didn’t change but during the time a distance developed between them ,
Talking about language
Question”1 which language do you think the author and his grandmother used while talking to each other?
Answer” The author’s grandmother was not much educated so I think the author and his grandmother used to talk in their mother tongue-in this case punjabi
Question”2 which language do you use to talk to elderly relative in your family?
Answer” My family members are well versed in hindi and little in English I greet them in English but like to conversed In Hindi
Question”3 how would you say a dilapidated drum in your language?
Answer” I would say” Phata Purana Dhol’ in my language
Question”4 Can you think of a song or a poem in your language that talks of homecoming?
Answer” There are many folk songs poems singing of the exploits of the warriers,
Short Question and answers “
Question”1 How did the Narrator grandfather appear in the portrait?
Answer” In the portrait the narrator’s grandfather was wearing a big turban and loose fitting garments he had long white beard up to his chest he looked about too years old
Question”2 Describe the happiest half hour of the day for grandmother?
Answer” In the afternoon the grandmother relaxed for a white to feed the sparrow in the verandah she sat broke bread into places and 100 of burds flowed to her some of them sat on her shoulder and Chirped she ever smiled thus it was the happiest half hour of day far her,
Question’3 How did the narrators and the grandmother becomes good friends?
Answer” When the narrator’s parents went to live in a city he was left with her grandmother she helped him in arising every morning getting ready to go to school she also helped in preparing his lesson thus they become good friend
Question”4 why could the grandmother not walk straight?
Answer” The grandmother could not walk straight because the was too old and stabed she used to keep her hand on back to maintain balance of the body,
Question”5 How did the grandmother spend her time when the narrator went to university?”
Answer” when the narrator went to university her grandmother still recited prayer and fed sparrows she used to sing song of the home coming of Warriar
Working with words
Question”1 There are different senses of the word” tell in different contexts-
- Helping the swell with you telling the beads of the rosary” count while reciting
- I would tell her English words and little things of western science and Learning ” give information to somebody
Question”2 Notice the different senses of the word take:”
- To take to somebody ” to begin to do something as a habit’
- To take ill: to suddenly become ill
- At her age one could never tell>” be sure
- she told us that her end was near>” make somebody/ something known to someone in spoken or written words
Question”3 Notice the different senses of the word take:”
- To take to somebody : to begin to do something as a habit
- To take ill: to suddenly become ill
Question”4 Notice these expressions in the text, infer their meaning from the context”
- The thoughts was almost revolting: it was disgusting to think so
- An Expanses of pure white serenity widespread clear and calm whiteness
- A turning point:” the time when an important change take place
- Accepted her seclusion with resignation calmly submitted to help loneliness
- A Veritable bedlam of Chirupping:” real confusing noise caused by Chirruping
- Frivolous rebukes:” light rebukes
- The sagging skins of the dilapidated drum: the loose skin of and old drum