keeping Quiet class 12, Explanation, Question and answer
Keeping Quiet by
About the poet
Parblo Neruda [1904-1973] is the pen name of Neftali Ricardo Reyes basoalto who was born in the town of parral in Chile, Neruda’s poems are full of easily understood images which make them no less beautiful he won the noble Prize for Literature in the year 1971, In this poem Neruda talks about the Necessity of quiet introspection and creating a feeling of mutual understanding among human beings,
- count--say Numbers
- twelve –twelve science hours on the clock,
- still-quiet and motionless
- Moment--a short period of time , a while
- Engines–machines, devices
- sudden-at once
- Fisherman–those who catch fish
Points to Remember
- According to the poet, keeping still and quiet will facilitate introspection and a feeling of universal Harmony
- the use of number twelve can be associated with twelve hours of the clock or number of months in a year
- The poet says that silence will be exotic because it will be a blissful moment a near-divine experience when we all will be together
- In the exotic moment even the fishermen (who represent the people who kill and harm other creatures) would not harm the whales, salt gatherers represent poor strata of the society ,
- By green wars the poet means waging war against our green zone I:e exploitation of nature by human beings
- By wars, with gas, wars with fire the poet means new weapons of mass destructions like wars with atomic or nuclear bombs or wars with chemicals
- The poet believes in life so he is against total inactivity he only wants to interrupt the sad cruel activities of the world
- Inactivity is dead and activity is the essence of life, so whatever is emphasised upon by him is connected with life not dead
- we can learn a lot from nature the poet involves the symbols of mother earth to reinforce his idea that there is wisdom in tranquility and peace
- The earth is calm and soothing things appear to be dormant but actually care constantly
before you read
|what does the title of the poem suggest to you? what do you think the poem is about?|
Now we will count to twelve and we will all keep still for once on the face of earth let’s not speak in any language, let’s stop for one second and not move our arms so such it would be an exotic moment without rush without engines we would all be together in a sudden strangeness,
Fishermen in the cold sea would not harm whales and the man gathering salt would look at his hurt hands, those who prepare green wars, wars with gas wars with fire victory with no survivors would put on clean clothes and walk about with their brothers in the shade, doing nothing
what I want should not be confused with total inactivity life is what it is about I want no truck with death, if we were not so single minded about keeping our lives moving and for once could do nothing perhaps a huge silence might interrupt this sadness of never understanding ourselves and of threatening ourselves with death,
perhaps the earth can teach us as when everything seems dead and later proves to be alive, Now I”‘II count up to twelve and you keep quiet and I will go
Question and answers
Question:1 why does the poet ask us to count twelve?
Answer: There are only twelve hour sings on the clock to measure hours, therefore he asks us to count till the clock measures those hours,
Question:2 why does he ask us to keep still?
Answer: Too much rush and activity has only brought misfortunes to mankind hence it is better to be quiet and still
Question:3 what does the poet not want himself to be?
Answer: The poet doesn’t want himself to be confused with advocating total inactivity
Question:4 how is inactivity from death?
Answer: the poet describes inactivity as a moment of peace and introspection whereas death is the end of the life,
Question:5 what does the poet mean by to have no truck with death?
Answer: the poet wants a safe existence which is possible only if the man understands the basic truth of peaceful coexistence of man and nature,
MCQs Question and answer
Question:1 what does the title of the poem suggest?
- Inactivity of people
- Noise made by people
- Unhappiness in the world
- Maintenance of silence
Answer:(4) maintenance of silence
Question:2 what message does the poem convey?
- the necessity to remain Inactive and quiet
- the necessity to introspect and stop killing beings
- the necessity to work quietly
- None of these
Answer:(2) The necessity to introspect and stop killing beings
Question:3 what does counting up to, 12 signify and how will it help?
- Hours of the day
- months of the year
- it will help create peace and harmony
- all of these
Answer:(4) all of these
Question:4 what is the poet’s pen name?
- pable costa
- Nablo peruda
- pablo neruda
Answer: pablo Neruda
Question:5 what does the style of the poem symbolise, that the poet users?
- Desires of the world
- hope in children
- desire and hope
Answer: (4) Desire and hope
Question:6 what is the original language of the poem?
Question:7 what is the essence or message of the poem?
- Introspection and retrospection to be more peaceful and be in harmony
- Everyone’s desire to prosper
- Everyone’s desire to be happier
- To reach out to more people
Answer:(1) Introspection and retrospection to be more peaceful and be in harmony
Question:8 what does the poet feel is needed to be at peace?
- meeting people
- talking with people
- Interaction with people
- soul searching
Answer(4) soul searching
Question:9 According to the poet what creates barriers?
Question:10 why does the poet ask people not to speak?
- Because it creates noise
- he doesn’t like noise
- it make things unpleasant
- Because it creates misunderstanding amongst people
Answer:(4) because it creates misunderstanding amongst people